Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sunburn! and all worth it!





There was something I wanted to share the last time I blogged but I didn't get a chance because I sort of went off with what God has been teaching me in class. Better late then never, right? .... anyway.... 
I have quite a lot of opportunities to get involved in the community with ministry's that run out of our base but I have been so busy with school work I haven't been able to step out like I had hoped. Every Sunday morning there is a Sunday Market, walking distance from the school, and it reminds me of the swap-meet at home, just a bit. There are two leaders within the school that have started a ministry that sets up at the market and paints kids faces for free. The cool part is I get to be a little artistic and play with the kids while others talk to the parents as they watch their child get his or her face or arm painted. This opens up great opportunities to tell people about Christ. We have little flyer's that we handout explaining  a little more about our testimonies and who the Lord is, but the real fun is building the relationships within the community. 
People can't believe that we are doing this for free! They just don't know how much we truly enjoy it. I got a nice sunburn but it was all worth it. I had offered to help the two leaders take some of the stuff down to the market with them, but I had planned to head off to church straight after... but as the kids started to role in I couldn't resist getting my hands dirty "literally" and getting involved. It was so fruitful I can't wait to do it next Sunday. Maybe this time I will wear sunscreen. 

The pictures are some of my friends/class mates... Renee is the one in class (color coding the bible "homework") she is from South Africa, Johannesburg and has become one of my close friends here at school "don't worry Reree you are my one and only Renee". Micheal "Mich" is in the picture with me and she is one amazing South African, from Derby. She is a staff for another school and "Tricia you would love her she is a Friend's addict just like someone else I know." The last picture is of Tanyse making fun of my height and she is from Zimbabwe, Harare. She is an introvert and yet when you pull it out of her she can be a little crazy "which reminds me of another YWAMer I know... Whits..." Anywho... These are great girls and the Lord has truly blessed me here in Muizenberg, but no one could ever replace you guys at home. I hope you know that.  

Side note...
I aced my first test! Hip Hip

Love and miss you all soooo much!  

4 comments:

Whitney said...

aww, yay!!! it's so fun to hear from you - i'm so glad you're enjoying your time there...

i miss you TONS!!!

last night before the office started trish and i carved pumpkins. it was tons of fun (the first time i've ever done it, if you can believe it!) and it made us miss you... lol, tanyse does sound like me :D

oh, one more thing - i thought you should know that tricia now has gotten me totally hooked on friends too!! :D

love you tons!!!! let's skype or something soon.

Whitney said...

oh, and ps. congratulations on acing your first test!!! good job!! :D

Jonathon Vopinek said...

Hey Lauren!
It's Tatiana, Jonathon and Cheryl. We miss you but it sounds like you are having an amazing time; we'll be praying for you and can't wait to see you. Who knows maybe we'll come visit, can we?

Courtney said...

Great job on your test sweetie!!!